Translate

Sunday, May 20, 2012

Kentucky Derby


Each year, my Grandson's elementary school's PTA has a single Fashion Show Fundraiser.  It is much more than just a fashion show, there is Lunch in a hotel ballroom, Chinese Auctions, Silent Auctions, 50/50 and more.  It is the only fundraiser, and has earned over $15,000 per year. Over 350 people attend.  This year's Fundraiser  had a Kentucky Derby theme, " Run for the Roses."  I created 35 Centerpieces. I only have about $10.00 for each centerpiece, so "cheap" it is.  

I created two types of centerpieces:  1)  A foam board and paper-mache vase/urn, with a giant tissue-paper rose on top;  and 2)  foam board mannequins (big paper dolls) with hats collected from yard sales.

The 'dolls' clothes, glasses, and earrings (I have loved paper dolls since I was 4 years old) were all designed in "Corel Draw" and printed on large paper.  If any one is interested in how to make any of these, please send a "comment" with your request.  I kept the costs under $10 per Centerpiece.  I think I got a 'big bang' for my bucks.

I have posted links to the "png" file pattern for the mannequin.  It has been reduced to 50 percent of the original size.  I printed the pattern on 8.5 x 11 paper and taped it together for a large pattern.  You can do this  by going to "properties" on your printer and select "page layout" and then "poster" printing.  I used foam board and an Xacto knife for this.  The slots will fit one into the other into the other, and stand alone.





https://picasaweb.googhttps://plus.google.com/photos/117667901023274395488/albums/5847145106024598593?authkey=COKn6fTT9IGllQEle.com/GrammieGordon/February20201302


3 comments:

  1. I LOVE those annequin centerpieces! Can you please share know how you did them?
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Pat,
    Wonderful job, those cardboard mannequins work really nice. The sunglasses give them that extra 3d feel!
    Is there any chance you could share the png file? The current link does not work.
    Thank you in advance and congratulations again on doing such a great job!
    Cristina

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your cardboard mannequins! Would you share your png file pattern? I would like to try and make them? Thanks!
    Ginger
    gljrjohnson-reyes@sbcglobal.net

    ReplyDelete